Google+

January 25, 2012

Chocolate Orange Cookies

Orange is a new flavor for me. I'll admit it; fruits and vegetables aren't exactly my favorite foods. However, if you pair certain things with chocolate, I'm willing to eat it. When I saw this recipe for Chocolate Orange Cookies, I knew this was a great way to eat some citrus and satisfy my chocolate craving.

There are three different types of orange in these cookies: zest, juice, and candied orange peel. I happened to stumble upon candied orange peel at a store in New York City, but if you can't find it, simply search it on the internet. Basically, you dip strips of orange peel in sugar syrup and let it dry.

Oranges and chocolate both have the potential to be quite bitter, so you have to balance the flavors. If done right, these cookies will be sweet, tangy, and bitter. If not, you'll have bitter from the chocolate blended with a sour bitterness from the orange. I had to adjust the proportions of everything from the original recipe to fit my taste, so change the amounts of chocolate and/or orange if you want to.


2 Sticks Butter, Softened
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
Zest of 1 Orange
1 T Orange Juice
1/4 tsp Salt
1 oz Chopped Candied Orange Peel
1/3 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Cocoa

Combine the flour and the cocoa. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together. Add the salt, orange juice, and orange zest. Fold in the orange peel and chocolate chips. Add the flour mixture and mix until combined.

Gather the dough into a ball and split in two. Roll each half into a 1" diameter, 9" long log. Wrap in plastic and chill for two hours.

Heat oven to 350F. Line cookie trays with parchment.

Slice the logs into 1/4" thick slices. Bake for 15 minutes or until set.



Makes 50
Recipe Adapted from www.sweetsensation-monchi.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment